EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FOR CONSULTANCY
TERMS OF REFERENCE
CONTRACT TITLE: Research on the Level and Effectiveness of CSO Engagement and Influence on Climate Change Governance in Kenya
Nature of Contract: Consultancy
Duration: 20 days
Location: Nairobi & Counties
- Organizational Profile
The Pan African Climate Justice Alliance (PACJA) is a continental coalition of Civil Society Organizations from diverse backgrounds in Africa. Founded in 2008, PACJA has emerged as the most vibrant and largest Civil Society platform in climate change and sustainable development, with a membership of more than 1000 organizations and networks. The Alliance brings together Faith-based Organizations, Community-based organizations, Non-Governmental organizations, Trusts, Foundations, Farmers and Pastoralist Groups among other sectors.
- Introduction to Angaza Project
PACJA through the Deepening Democracy Program (DDP) funded by DAI is spearheading the implementation of the Angaza Project (Strengthening CSO Advocacy for Improved Climate Change Governance in Kenya). The project aims at strengthening civil society for improved engagement in climate change governance in Kenya. The objective of this project is to strengthen the capacity of Civil Society Organizations for improved engagement in climate governance in Kenya.
Through Angaza Project, we seek to strengthen CSO capacity to effectively participate in climate governance through policy advocacy and holding governments accountable on management of climate change response both at county and at national levels.
- Scope of work
Purpose of the Consultancy Assignment
The overall purpose of this assignment is to analyse the effectiveness of Civil Society in advocacy, influence and checking accountability of the national and county governments in Kenya since enactment of the Climate Change Act, 2016.
The consultant, with support from the Angaza project team at PACJA will carry out the following tasks:
- Develop a research methodology.
- Implement research nationally and in selected counties.
- Conduct a validation meeting in Nairobi for feedback.
- Complete a final report and deliverables.
Key Areas of Focus
The following areas of research are key for this assignment;
- Political Economy Analysis of climate governance in Kenya;
- Civil Society contribution to climate change governance in Kenya;
- CSO engagement in push for accountability and establishment of governance structures & processes to support citizen engagement in climate change governance;
- Presence of functional mechanisms for engagement of CSOs and governments on climate governance processes.
- Achievements and challenges of CSOs in engagement with governments on climate governance processes.
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
- Planning meeting with PACJA
- Inception report detailing finalized research design & methodology
- Detailed report, including recommendations and other deliverables as may be agreed upon during inception
- Updated Political Economy Analysis for the Angaza project
- Primary data collected as part of the research.
- Qualifications of the Successful Consultants
- Background: Environmental Economics & Development; Environmental policy & governance; At least ten years’ practical experience working in the field of climate governance.
- Experience carrying out similar assignments in development, policy, or climate governance interventions desired.
- Analytical and planning skills, with an ability to translate analysis into recommendations for practical action.
- Experts from CSO networks working in climate change governance in Kenya highly encouraged to apply.
- Duties and Responsibilities
Carry out outlined tasks and produce expected outputs and deliverables as detailed in Section C.
- Share any relevant information, reports, documents, guidelines, data at our disposal;
- Allow use of office space in Nairobi as necessary;
- Support the planning and logistics of the work.
- Contract Terms
Timelines: Between 17th September and 12th October 2018
- Planning meeting with PACJA: 1 day
- Development of inception report including research design, methodology, work plan and basic reporting structure: 2 days
- Desk study: 4 days
- Travel and interviews with stakeholders and FGs in Nairobi and Counties: 6 days
- Data analysis and report writing: 5 days
- Validation workshop: 1 day
- Incorporation of comments and finalization of deliverables: 1 day
Payment: 40% after signing of contract then 60% at the end of the task and after satisfactory submission of final deliverables.
How to apply
PACJA invites interested individuals and companies to submit the following application documents:
- A Brief Expression of interest outlining how the consultant(s) meets the selection criteria, their understanding of the ToR and their proposed methodology.
- Technical Proposal, outlining the approach and methodologies, complete with a proposed activities schedule/work plan with time frame.
- Financial proposal detailing consultant(s) itemized fees should be annexed on the technical proposals
- Names and CVs of individuals or team members proposed and their roles in the achievement of the assignment
- 3 professional referees (previous clients) and sample reports of similar assignments taken in the recent past. 2 examples of similar pieces of work completed within the past two years